Salary Structure

How Much Does Uber Pay Car Owners in Nigeria? (2024)

Sposored Links

Ride-hailing has become a popular way for passengers to get around, and it’s also a great opportunity for car owners to earn extra income. Uber, the world’s leading ride-hailing service, has made its mark in Nigeria too. Whether you’re considering driving full-time or part-time, this guide will help you understand how Uber works in Nigeria and how you can get started.

How Does Uber Pay Car Owners in Nigeria?

Uber offers two ways to earn money: as a partner or as a driver.

  • Partner: If you own a car but don’t have time to drive, you can find someone to drive for you.
  • Driver: If you prefer to drive yourself, you can do that too.

Here’s the deal: Uber pays drivers 75% of their earnings, keeping the remaining 25%. While it may sound like a lot, Uber handles app management and taxes. On average, partners can earn up to N100,000 per week, but this varies based on several factors.

Factors Affecting Earnings

Your earnings with Uber depend on:

  1. Location: Drivers in Lagos typically earn more than those in other cities.
  2. Number of Trips: More trips mean more money.
  3. Distance: Longer trips pay more than shorter ones.
  4. Surge Pricing: Earnings increase during busy hours or rush periods.

Becoming an Uber Driver: Step-by-Step Guide


  • Valid driving license.
  • At least 21 years old.

Registration Process:

  1. Vehicle Inspection: Pay N2,000 for an inspection at an Uber partner centre.
  2. Document Upload: Upload required documents like driver’s license, insurance, and others.
  3. Sign Up: Register as a driver on Uber’s platform.
  4. Onboarding: Uber verifies your qualifications and requirements.
  5. Background Check: Uber checks your documents, vehicle records, criminal history, and driving record.

Car Requirements for Uber in Nigeria

Your car must meet these criteria:

  • Manufactured after 2000.
  • 4-door sedan.
  • Good aesthetic and working condition.
  • Seats at least four passengers.
  • Working air conditioning, power windows, and radio.

Cars Accepted by Uber in Nigeria:

  • Acura: RDX, TL, MDX, RL, RLX
  • Audi: A4, A6, A7, Q5, S6, S7, S8
  • BMW: 3 series, 5 series, 7 series, X3, X4, X5, X6
  • Chevrolet: Cruze, Epica
  • Chrysler: 300
  • Dodge: Charger, Durango, Journey
  • Ford: Focus, Fusion, Edge, Explorer


Becoming an Uber driver in Nigeria can be a lucrative opportunity, whether you’re looking for a full-time job or a side hustle. With the right car and proper preparation, you can maximize your earnings and enjoy the flexibility that Uber offers.


  1. How much can I earn as an Uber driver in Nigeria?

    • On average, partners can earn up to N100,000 per week, but earnings vary based on factors like location, number of trips, and surge pricing.
  2. What are the requirements to become an Uber driver?

    • You need a valid driving license and must be at least 21 years old. Your car should also meet Uber’s requirements.
  3. Which cars are accepted by Uber in Nigeria?

    • Uber accepts cars from brands like Acura, Audi, BMW, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Dodge, and Ford, among others. Your car should be a 4-door sedan manufactured after 2000.

Sponsored Links
Back to top button