The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
International Organization for migration is looking for a qualified candidate to fill the position of:
Job Title: Project Assistant (ICT)
SVN No: SVN2021.56
Organizational Unit: immigration & Border Management (1BM)
IOM Classification: G5
Type of Appointment: Special Short-Term Graded Contract
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Working under the overall supervision of International Organization for migration (IOM) Nigeria’s IBM Senior Programme Manager, and under the direct supervision of IBM Program Manager, National Programme Officer (IBM) and/ or the Senior Programme Assistant, the successful candidates’ primary role will be to provide support to IOM Nigeria’s IBM projects focusing on providing support to Government of Nigeria toward improvement of Nigeria’s borders and implementing new approaches to training within Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS).
Additionally, the successful candidates will be accountable and responsible for providing general support as requested to the full portfolio of international organization for migration (IOM) Nigeria IBM projects.
The IBM Programme Assistants will work in close collaboration with key Nigerian government partners and with the donor community; contribute to monitoring and analysis of national and trans-national trends relevant to the International Organization for migration (IOM) Nigeria IBM portfolio; and, contribute Nigerian perspective and support to regional IBM projects affecting Nigeria.
Within this organizational context and scope the IOM Nigeria IBM Unit is recruiting one Programme Assistant at the G-5 level:
- Supporting the National Programme Officer (IBM) and/or the Senior Programme Assistant, and their supervisors, in liaison with relevant governmental, non-governmental entities (NGOs), international organizations as well as other relevant stakeholders where necessary for the effective implementation of the activities of projects and participate in coordination meetings with governments, NGOs and other stakeholders where required in close coordination with the supervisor.
- Collecting and providing necessary information and assists in preparing, organizing, and implementing all aspects of the projects’ activities including preparations and support to special consultancies occurring in the projects.
- Assisting in preparation of reports and reporting to donors and partners, in IOM and donor formats as required.
- Assisting in the monitoring and evaluation of projects’ activities for the assigned component.
- Supporting visibility and communication activities related to the projects.
- Assisting in the planning, preparation and implementation of seminars, conferences, workshops, meetings, presentations, and missions related to the projects, undertaking duty travel when necessary in support of project implementation.
- Providing general support to the development of new related projects based on identified needs during project implementation.
- Support in implementation and monitoring of IT components of the project activities.
- Support key project staff in liaising with relevant government partners, non-governmental entities, international organizations as well as other relevant project stakeholders when the issues strongly intersect with information technology, data, and biometric systems.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field with at least 3 years of relevant work experience.
- Strong computer skills, particularly MS Office suite and database, php/Java, MYQSL/ORACLE. Advance knowledge of Excel.
- Demonstrated non-specialist knowledge in the thematic areas relevant to IOM mandate areas for project implementation and development.
- Experience in liaising with governmental authorities, other national/international institutions, the UN, and NGOs.
- Experience working on migration issues in a project setting will be an advantage; and,
- Direct experience in border management and innovative approaches to government training and capacity building in the migration sector will be an added advantage.
Fluency in English (Oral and Written) and Working Knowledge of the local language.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – Behavioural Indicators level 1:
Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate.
Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment.
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
Closing Date: 7th of July, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV to: HRNIGERIA@iom.int using the Position Number as the subject of the email.
Click Here to apply
- In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM) and with a subject line SVN2021.56.Project Assistant (ICT).
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers, and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
- Please note that this position is open only to Nigerian National and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
share to help others.