The Hubert H. Humphrey fellowship is a scholarship program funded by the United States government through the Office of Educational and Cultural Affairs of the Department of State and the Institute of International Education (IIE), all in the United States. The program is designed to offer mid-career professionals from selected countries in Africa, Asia, Latin America, the Caribbean, the Middle East and Europe the opportunity to expand their professional capabilities by partaking in specialized 10-month programs
The purpose of the Hubert H. Humphrey fellowship program is to provide nominated candidates with a comprehensive experience that stretches their perspectives, enhances their ability to take on greater professional responsibilities, and provides them with the opportunity to network with themselves and establish useful professional contacts.
SUMMARY OF THE PROGRAM
DEADLINE: Depending on your country.
LEVEL: Traineeship (10 months).
NUMBER OF FELLOWSHIPS: 200.
FINANCING: Fully funded.
OPEN TO: Specific countries (see below).
HOST COUNTRY: United States of America.
BENEFITS OF THE HUBERT H. HUMPHREY SCHOLARSHIPS PROGRAM
Financially, the Hubert H. Humphrey fellowship will provide to selected candidates the following:
- A monthly allowance (it varies depending on the destination city).
- An allowance for books and supplies.
- Tuition fees waiver.
- Fees for standardized tests required for admission to a host university.
- Support for international round-trip travel to the host institution.
- There will be support for domestic trips to Washington, DC for a special seminar.
- Medical insurance provided by the United States government will also be available.
There are also additional funds available for professional activities such as field trips or attending conferences.
Additionally, the program will offer the following benefits:
- Assistance will be provided to the scholarship holder in identifying and applying for admission to American universities.
- Orientation will be given before departure.
- Assistance in securing theJ-1 visa, (the Visa exchange program).
- Pre-college programs in the United States will also be available.
The period these programs will last varies between four days and eight weeks and takes place before the start of the graduate program. These programs are aimed to meet the core needs of the course in which the scholar is accepted.
Besides its financial and assistance benefits, the Hubert H. Humphrey fellowship program will also help you, once you are selected, to apply and obtain visas for your spouse and minor children. Nevertheless, keep it in mind that you will be responsible for their living expenses.
OVERALL ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
Selection for the Fellows are based on their national leadership potential and dedication to service, whether in the public or private sector.
Must haves for the potential participants for the Hubert H. Humphrey fellowship include:
- An undergraduate degree.
- A minimum of five years of full-time professional experience.
- Little or no previous experience in the United States.
- Demonstrated leadership qualities.
- A public service report in the community.
- Linguistic ability in English.
THE FOLLOWING FIELDS ARE ELIGIBLE FOR HUBERT H. HUMPHREY SCHOLARSHIPS
The Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program will be awarded to qualified applicants with opportunities in the following areas of study:
- Agricultural /rural development.
- Climate change.
- Communications /Journalism.
- Economic development.
- Education /Educational planning.
- Environmental policy.
- Finance and banking.
- HIV /AIDS policy and prevention.
- Human resources /personnel management.
- Law, civil society, human rights and democratic development.
- Natural resource management.
- Analysis of public policies and public administration.
- Public health policy and management.
- Drug addiction education, prevention, and treatment.
- Technology policy and management.
- Teaching English as a Foreign Language.
- Policy and prevention of trafficking in persons.
- Urban and regional planning.
THESE ARE THE LIST OF HOST AMERICAN UNIVERSITIES
This year, applicants will be welcomed in any of these universities:
- American University, Washington College of LawArizona State University
- Boston University
- Cornell University
- Emory University
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Michigan State University
- Pennsylvania State UniversitySyracuse University
- University of California, Davis
- University of Minnesota, Humphrey School of Public Affairs
- Vanderbilt University
- Virginia Commonwealth University
Interested applicants can apply online here: https://apply.iie.org/apply/
For more country-specific details, refer to your country’s U.S. Embassy Official website:
- Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Europe and Eurasia.
- Middle East and North Africa.
- East Asia and Pacific.
- South and Central Asia.
- Western Hemisphere.
The deadline to apply for the Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship program varies by country, but generally, between June and August.