MEXT SCHOLARSHIPS IN BRIEF AND HOW TO APPLY
LEVELS: Bachelor Degree, Masters, PhD Research, Language stay and Training.
FUNDING: Fully funded.
DEADLINE: Depending on country of the applicant (see below).
TARGET PUBLIC: All nationalities can apply
HOST COUNTRY: Japan.
TYPES OF MEXT SCHOLARSHIPS PROGRAM
Six types of awards are available:
- Research students (Master, PhD):You must be under the age of 35 years and a college graduate (includes prospective graduates). Or you must have completed grand total of 16 years of schooling.
- Teacher training students: You must be 35 years of age or under and a graduate of a college or teacher training college. Also note that you must have at least five years of active experience as a teacher in a primary, secondary, or teacher training college in your country.
- Undergraduate students:You must be between 17 and 25 years of age and have completed 12 years of school education or have completed courses in a school comparable to a high school
- Japanese studies students:Candidates have to be from 18 to 30 years old. Candidates must be registered as undergraduate students in faculties or schools which major in Japanese language or Japanese culture in a university outside Japan at the time when they come to Japan, and must be enrolled in the home institution at the time when they return to their home countries.
- College of technology students:You must be between 17 and 25 years of age and have finished school education comparable to a high school. A minimum of 11 years beginning in primary school education. You can choose your own field of study from following choices: Mechanical Engineering, Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Information, Communication, Information, Communication and Network Engineering, Materials Engineering, Architecture, Civil Engineering, Marine Engineering.
- Specialized training college students:You must be between 17 and 25 years of age and have completed 12 years of schooling or have completed school education comparable to a Japanese high school
BENEFITS OF MEXT SCHOLARSHIPS
If you are selected for the MEXT scholarship, applicants will be entitled to the following benefits:
- Registration, tuition, and entrance exam fees (at the university) will be paid by the Japanese government.
A monthly stipend of ¥143,000～145,000 per month for MEXT research program and Teacher training program. ¥117,000 per month for the rest of programs. An additional monthly stipend of ¥2,000 or ¥3,000 may be granted to those undertaking their studies or research in some designated areas of Japan.
- Each recipient will receive an economy class airfare from the nearest international airport to his/her home to the new Tokyo International Airport or any other international airport that the assigned university usually uses.
- In case of accident or illness, all expenses related to medical consultations, procedures, and medication are fully covered.
- The selected students will be accommodated at the international student residences provided by the universities concerned.
The MEXT scholarship program has no GPA prerequisite for application. But, based on some information we have gathered, last year, the GPA of the last accepted applicant in some countries was 2.2.
Check your country’s MEXT details here.
AVAILABLE FIELDS OF STUDY
Any field that is taught in Japan is eligible. Candidates can choose between programs taught in English or Japanese. For those who choose to do their research program in Japanese, the period of their stay is extended.
MEXT accepts applications from international students who meet the following qualifications and requirements:
- Be a citizen of a country that has diplomatic relations with Japan.
- Be willing to learn Japanese language.
- Submit a health certificate stating that the candidate does not have any physical or mental condition that would prevent him/her from studying in Japan.
All application procedures for Japanese government scholarships, MEXT, are conducted through the Japanese embassies and consulates in the applicants’ countries of residence. There is no application fee.
There are four main steps to the application process, as outlined below:
- Sending and examination of your file.
- Passing the written exam.
- Final review of your application by MEXT.
Your application for the MEXT scholarships must contain:
- Application form – required. (bachelor, master et PhD, College of Technology, Specialized Training).
- Medical certificate— required.
- Certificate of Enrollment — Optional(Only for those currently enrolled in a university or high school).
- Direct Placement Form — Optional(Only for applicants wishing to apply for direct placement).
- Transcripts for all school/university years —
- University or school diploma — required.
- Letter of recommendation from a teacher or principal of the last school attended —required.
- Certificate of Qualifying Examination for University Registration — optional.
- Certificate of Language Proficiency — optional.
All applicants must submit the necessary documents to the Japanese diplomatic mission in their country by the deadline indicated here. Applications can be submitted either electronically or by mail (depending on the country). Please contact your country’s diplomatic mission for more details.
Below is an official application guide for MEXT scholarships:
- Application guide: Master
- Application guide PhD.
- Application guide bachelor.
- Application guide Teacher training.
Check previous years’ exams at this link.
For any questions, please contact the diplomatic mission of your country.